Wednesday 18 March 2020

Staying Home for Coronavirus Day 2 - The World Outside by Webcam

I've been having a think, I don't really want to have the heading as Coronavirus, cos I'm hoping it'll pass me by - so now this series will be called Staying Home. for Coronavirus.

Also news moves so fast that there's all sorts of things I want to find out and talk about. But I have limited energy - after all, I'm merely carrying on the life I have had for the last 6 years, housebound is my normal - so I need to have a plan... And my plan is, on Odd Days (ie Day 1, 3, 5 etc) the post will be practical about things to do to make life safer and more bearable, and Even Days (ie Day 2, 4, 6 etc) the post will be about finding the good things in life, relaxing, taking time to live in the present and be content with the 'right now' moment in time.

And today - it's Day 2 - so it's an even day. It's something that's a bit fun, relaxing and takes your mind off one's worries.

Day 2 - The World Outside by Webcam


Back when I first got severely unwell, I lost the ability to climb stairs, walk, hold my own body and head up and also, crucially, to read or watch TV etc. I just couldn't concentrate. That's improved since, but I do find that I frequently do need to just chill out and relax but at the same time, have something simple to occupy my mind.

Back in 2013 at my worst, and my sister had to take my cat because I wasn't well enough to look after him, and the flat felt like a sealed tomb with not even dust moving around, (seriously sometimes it's so quiet you can hear your own heartbeat, and if nothing is moving, including yourself, an open window and a breeze through the curtains and faint noises from outside really do help), someone suggested I watched kittens grow up online.

Pfft said I no-one's going to do something like that and anyway, I can't do moving pictures any more.  But I tried it and fell in love!  Turns out that actually people DO this, 24/7. And that's how I discovered the world of webcams!

Here are my top three webcams that I watch quite a lot. You probably have your own, share them in the comments so we can all have a look, and as ever, google is your friend!

1. The Elephant Sanctuary in Tennessee USA

They have 4 webcams, set up high and you just watch the elephants wandering around being elephants. It's a very calm and gentle set of webcams, as not much happens!

Find them here: https://www.elephants.com/elecam 

The Sanctuary was formed on 110 (now 2.7k) acres in 1995 and is essentially a retirement home for performing elephants from circuses, and also elephants from zoos. Their website is really informative and you really get a feel for each individual animal.

2. African Waterholes

My favourite is the one at Mpala in Kenya - mostly because there's hippo - and hippo don't do much except feed and argue with each other. At the moment there's young ones flexing their muscles at each other which is entertaining.

Find them here: https://www.mpalalive.org/live_cam/wateringhole

I also have this 2017 article bookmarked - with wildlife webcams that are worth checking out. Most are still in existence. I particularly like the live safari streams by rangers.
More wildlife cams article: https://blog.rhinoafrica.com/2017/08/22/5-best-live-cams-african-wild/

3. Kitten cams

And last but not least, Kitten cams (puppy cams and other bird etc cams are available, I just like kittens!) There's lots of different cams available, just google and see what you find! Many of them have Facebook Pages too.

One of the things I like about these is there's a chat community alongside the webcam, regulars watch and make sure if anything happens that the cam owner can come and deal with it. Of course, as these Queens and their litters are rescue cats, sometimes the kittens don't survive, or they're unwell etc.

Obviously there's not always litters of kittens available but The Critter Room is currently running a very long video of highlights of previous litters.

Critter Room on YouTube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEmawBJsPLgttggzm4Z45Mw

 I know I said three, but I'd like to give an honourable mention to:

The Donkey Sanctuary as I particularly like watching the Barn cam when I can't sleep, they're so calm! https://www.thedonkeysanctuary.org.uk/webcam1

The International Space Station internal views when the staff are on duty, external views when they aren't, it helps put my troubles in context! https://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/iss_ustream.html 

 Yeah I know it would be a more exciting blogpost with pictures, but I'm quite tired today. This is a marathon not a sprint, so, click the links, LOADS of pictures there, moving ones too!

Tomorrow - Day 3, odd day so a practical topic - I shall be exploring viable alternatives to loo roll (given the global difficulties of getting hold of it due to supply chain deficiencies in the face of panic buying).

 

No comments:

Post a Comment